Today, accounts aged over 60 months get a discount at the Hidden Tower! Shop » x
DaveAnother Scrappy Neoboard Appearance
Posted by Dave on July 18, 2017, 9:25 pm NST

Scrappy has made another appearance on the Neoboards! This time with some information on the return of the Caption Contest, the Battledome, and the upcoming plot she keeps hinting at.

Regarding the Caption Contest...

Well, we released it and put it in the news that day! As for the releasing, we got a few thousand in the first day alone so we thought we would try this instead of releasing a bunch at once. It would allow for more captions to get seen rather than a few at the end. However, since some captions will have more time to be voted on than others I'm not sure that this is how we will keep it.

Also guys I was thinking about a new avatar for the Caption Contest. Would that be crazy?

Here, Scrappy confirms that the avatar will be released as a prize for the current contest that went live yesterday:

Okay here's what I'm thinking stick with the old one for this contest and then new one for the rest and like someone suggested, the old for every 1000th [sic].

Regarding the plot...
In response to someone asking to confirm if the plot would happen before the holidays this year:

I can't spoil the plot but I can tell you plans haven't changed (well, other than some improvements).

A longgggg time we've been planning this!

Regarding the HP increase for the Battledome...
It appears to not be on the current to-do list, and TNT does not seem to have plans to implement it for the upcoming plot:

5. The HP increase is something we've looked into but I'm not sure it's the direction we will go in with BD.

Also, I in no way said the increase is coming back. Actually, I think I said the opposite. I can't say its 100% never coming back but right now it's not.

Don't get me wrong, folks. It's not like we're giving up on BD. We have plans, they just are different than HP increase. Just give it some time!!

Regarding other site features...

1st, I would love to bring back random contest its so fun! ... 4. Eh, not sure about the site spotlight yet.

Honestly, we've been talking about and looking at so many things we haven't really discussed World Challenges so I don't know about that one.
herdy - JN Staff, 07/18/2017, 9:32 pm NST
BDers have given it 5 years of 'time' already. HP increase was the carrot that was promised at the end of it, and now its not even in the same direction they want to take the BD? I like Scrappy, but really that's bad.

dave - JN Staff, 07/18/2017, 9:35 pm NST
Definitely disappointed to hear that the HP increase isn't planned, since I know a lot of BD fans have been hoping for that.

But it's nice to hear that the Caption Contest will run a little differently next time and that they may implement a new avatar to go along with it.

will, 07/18/2017, 9:46 pm NST
Can you please clarify context for the first blockquote in this post? The fact that it's in reference to "[us having] another two weeks to enter [the Caption Contest]" is unclear!

dr_tomoe, 07/18/2017, 10:07 pm NST
I see, they've been gradually adding more entries to the contest. There were 35 to start with, and last I saw, there were 39.

So, even while the voting is up, you can add entries in and they might get picked, even though others have a head start?

That is one way to do it, I suppose, but if they do it that way, then I think they shouldn't have a cut-off. If you get picked, you win, and your placement decides what trophy you get.

dave - JN Staff, 07/18/2017, 10:29 pm NST
@will: Scrappy said this in a prior comment:

"Also, I'm not sure what you mean by lack of time to enter? You have another two weeks to enter"

But then follows up "I'm not sure that this is how we will keep it."

So it's a bit unclear on how this will play out. Hopefully they work out the kinks for next month's contest.

tanoshii, 07/18/2017, 10:29 pm NST
Where was the thread?

tanoshii, 07/18/2017, 10:35 pm NST
+what time was it, I'm guessing it was earlier. ;w;

dave - JN Staff, 07/18/2017, 10:36 pm NST
You can read through here, but it'll probably eventually implode: http://www.neopets.com/neoboards/topic.phtml?topic=158834552

tanoshii, 07/18/2017, 10:39 pm NST
Thanks, Dave!

zeelink, 07/18/2017, 10:44 pm NST
But Herdy, it wasn't JS who promised the HP increase, was it? Maybe JS wanted to do something different with the BD from the start. I can't blame them. I think the state of the BD is old TNT's fault, really.

herdy - JN Staff, 07/18/2017, 11:10 pm NST
Not originally, no. But they have published many editorial questions openly discussing it without saying 'btw HP increase isn't happening now' - until now, of course.

They might want to go somewhere different with the BD. Old TNT did as well. The point is that moving away from HP increase - wherever you go - isn't a good move.

dolchay, 07/19/2017, 12:01 am NST
I have mixed feelings about a HP increase so I can not say it bothers me much that they do not have plans for one as I like to farm jetsam ace daily and am not a big fan of training but now that said, if they were to add a seperate column or whatever so people that like their hp increase could do it then okay, but I still want my non increasing. maybe it sounds weird xD

alessia, 07/19/2017, 12:57 am NST
I'm so sad about World Challenges... they were my favourite feature on the site and they still don't care about it

swevin, 07/19/2017, 1:14 am NST
It's like they are clueless about the game and make rules up as they go along. Scrappy really disappointed me this time.

cat, 07/19/2017, 2:31 am NST
In all fairness the old staff had seemed somewhat iffy on whether they even could bring back HP increase, so I'm not too surprised. I guess this means they finally did look into adding it and decided it wasn't really doable.

Personally I just want to know I can keep farming the BD for drops.

cat, 07/19/2017, 2:42 am NST
---
There are a lot of things they need to look at and fix, it's not too surprising that World Challenges might not be that high up on their to-do list, especially if there aren't a lot of requests for that feature.

topaz644, 07/19/2017, 3:22 am NST
A new avie for the CC doesn't sound good to me. Those of us who don't have the current one want THAT one.

Those who already have it could get 2 avies for the CC.

The real issue right now is with how the darn thing is being run. As is it's just a mess. A new avie is not a panacea for every thing JS.

peirigill - JN Staff, 07/19/2017, 3:31 am NST
@topaz644: The idea is that the old avatar will still be around, but as a once-a-year special round, and the new avatar will be awarded on all the regular rounds, Everyone will still have the opportunity to get both.

jawsch, 07/19/2017, 3:37 am NST
Super excited this round gets the current avatar. O_O I MUST HAVE IT! It's the last grundo avatar I need! Bummed about Site Spotlight, I wish someone would have asked her about the people who won SS before the avatar We were banned from re-entering, had no way of ever getting the avatar.

swevin, 07/19/2017, 3:52 am NST
"A new avie is not a panacea for every thing JS." Especially how they often mess them up too. Why not fix the current glitchy avatars before making new ones we don't need. This should be round 139x and not 1400. Todays word should be Fair, maybe they need to learn what that is.

marc, 07/19/2017, 5:25 am NST
Ugh JS/TNT is just a mess.

labtech468, 07/19/2017, 5:51 am NST
I want DoN fixed

hprox, 07/19/2017, 9:45 am NST
Can you guys edit this post to add in slightly later comments she made to clarify that the 1000th thing isn't going to be a thing?

"OH I like the annual idea better!!! Great idea! "
and

"HAHA okay everyone calm down the 1000th was a poor idea! We will stick with annually!! "

rosi, 07/19/2017, 10:10 am NST
Sigh I don't care about contests, avatars, but I miss the World Challenges so much They were the only method to win paintbrushes, peeps! How couldn't there be many requests for them?

Sadly, they apparently broke the code during the servers transition three years ago and cannot rewrite it. In fact they've always been clear about never bringing them back, instead of being vague as usual.

hprox, 07/19/2017, 10:13 am NST
Have they been clear about it? I honestly can't remember them even addressing World Challenges ever. TBH I feel like a lot of people didn't even know it was a thing. Maybe JTNT didn't even know it was a thing and that's why it hasn't come up!

pikachu315111, 07/19/2017, 10:15 am NST
Caption Contest:
Great to see it back, though not so sure about the voting process (which, to be fair, they don't seem so sure of either; this feels like it was a bit rushed). If I were to make a suggest, if they want to make it a month long, I suggest each week holding a new "round" where 20-30 captions are put up for vote, than on the fourth week have a final round where 10-15 of the top voted captions from each week (for a total of 30-45 captions) are put up for one final voting to declare that month's winners.

A bit sad it's only one month, but apparently the CC was a bit of a strain even on old TNT so this is probably the best compromise we can get. I'm just hoping drawing the Caption Contests would help the artists improve their drawing of Neopets so we can start getting more original artwork again near the quality of original TNT's.

As for the Avatar, a new one is always appreciated. The new one sounds like it would just be for winning any Ca

pikachu315111, 07/19/2017, 10:16 am NST
The new one sounds like it would just be for winning any Caption Contest while the old one would be used for annual CCs (and thankfully not every 1000th, geez. Heck, I think every 100th would also be bad since CCs are now once a month).

Finally, maybe save the old image for either a rainy day or the first annual CC.

Other Competitions:
So Random may be coming back, Site Spotlight probably not, and World Challenge isn't even on their radar (than again I don't think it was much on TNT's either. Maybe they can find a way to implement it with next year's DD or GMC?).

Plot:
Can't really say anything until we get actual news about it. Nice to know they've been working on it for a while (curious if it's maybe an old plot the original TNT had in mind) and are improving it as they progress. I'm cautiously optimistic.

HP Increases/Battledome:
*Sigh* Well that stinks. Curious if complications came about and they decided the BD is better left as is wi

pikachu315111, 07/19/2017, 10:16 am NST
Curious if complications came about and they decided the BD is better left as is with its difficulty system (curious what they thought by us asking for HP increases. Most everyone wanted it as a "4th difficulty" or additional mode, not affecting the new Easy/Medium/Hard difficulty system).

So, what are JN's plans for the BD than? Well, obviously many would like a battling portion to the plot, though the BD has so much more potential outside of that. The Battlegrounds is an alright battling event but I think we need more, like I would like to see an Battledome version of the Altador Cup where every world has champions to represent it. There's also the return of the Faerie League idea, Aethia needs something to do. Oh, and of course how about a Mobile version of the BD.

BTW, we still need Stealing fixed. Also I'm sure there are other issues too, have to ask the BD Board as I'm sure they'll have a list.

hprox, 07/19/2017, 11:02 am NST
I believe this petpage has most of the concerns of the majority of battlers: http://www.neopets.com/~Kihako

With freezing, stealing, HP increase, and DoN being the most talked about things (excluding how overpowered some of the abilities are).

lazybutt, 07/19/2017, 11:20 am NST
Is Scrappy the entire content department or something? She seems like she makes decisions on the fly and does whatever she pleases?

cat, 07/19/2017, 2:22 pm NST
---
That actually sounds better, I always kind of thought it sucked that you'd only get an avatar for a special numbered issue, but any other contest you wouldn't. With CC being once per month instead of once per week you also get a special issue less often.

maple_snow, 07/19/2017, 4:32 pm NST
Yikes @ their sloppy BD priorities. Did the Battle Chat implode yet? Once again, another site feature that fell prey to Viacom's lust for monetizing, and then was abandoned in the end. Too bad JS aren't competent enough to remedy it.

Speaking of abandoned features, kinda bummed nothing about Neohomes or the Neohome Spotlight. There's still dozens of active Neohomers on the Customization board with beyond creative homes! But that feature has been neglected/forgotten by TNT for years now.

Though, super exciting to see the Random Contest may return!

josie, 07/19/2017, 4:56 pm NST
@dave - Thank you so much for posting a link! I had no clue where Scrappy does these FAQs. I wish she would announce in the news when she does one, so people, who don't visit the boards very often could have a chance to go there at those times.

Or maybe I'm just completing missing something, and it is announced somewhere ahead of time

1jediboy, 07/19/2017, 7:46 pm NST
Still no news on "achievements" I see... And have they confirmed it's a plot and not an event?

cat, 07/19/2017, 9:49 pm NST
@1jediboy - Scrappy did call it a plot in the NT a couple weeks ago. What that means by JS standards I don't know but I'm cautiously excited.

hprox, 07/19/2017, 10:48 pm NST
josie: This was a very impromptu board. A regular user created it, with the title talking about how Scrappy had said she planned to do another board and Scrappy just showed up randomly. It was also kind of late NST, too, so no one was expecting it.

vaporesque, 07/20/2017, 3:37 am NST
@labtech468 I want DoN back, too

World Challenges were great, but while I remember the broken code excuse, I did not think they were completely dropped. If they were, leaving the button/link on every game page seems unreasonably sloppy.

smartman294, 07/20/2017, 4:19 am NST
I feel like it's good they are talking to us. I felt like during the JS era they barely said a word unless something major broke.

myflickyflapp, 07/20/2017, 11:08 am NST
Why on earth would they release an avatar JUST for Site Spotlight for only a few months if they don't plan on continuing it?!

43456, 07/21/2017, 3:32 am NST
Ohh I really hope they will eventually bring back the Site Spotlight! I actually just finished my petpage that I wanted to enter about 2 weeks before they stopped doing the contest