Today, accounts aged over 60 months get a discount at the Hidden Tower! Shop » x
Focus of Imminent Destruction (r200) [Artifact]View in Item Database
DescriptionA large, mysterious jewel at the head of the staff is said to possess great but unstable power! It gyrates and humms softly, apparently wishing not to be held; even by you. Focus of Imminent Destruction

Semi-Fragile


Average Rating [?]
4
Attack +[*air**air**air**air**air**dark**dark**dark**dark**dark**earth**earth**earth**earth**earth**fire**fire**fire**fire**fire**light**light**light**light**light**physical**physical**physical**physical**physical**water**water**water**water**water*]
Defense N/A
Reflect N/A
Effects N/A
Actual Icons
ATTACK EARTH 0-5 ATTACK AIR 0-5 ATTACK FIRE 0-5 ATTACK WATER 0-5
ATTACK LIGHT 0-5 ATTACK DARKNESS 0-5 ATTACK PHYSICAL 0-5  
Restocks At N/A
Used By Kaia
Special Categorization -
Notes Attacks won't show up in the battle log (but the icons can still be blocked and reflected as normal, and they still do damage). Has a ~70% chance of attacking and a ~30% chance of doing nothing during its "Working" times.
Has a 100% chance of breaking for the battle during its "Not Working" times.
Does not attack when it breaks.

Times are in NST (UTC-7):

Noon/Midnight - 1:59 AM/PM: Working
2:00 AM/PM - 3:59 AM/PM: Not Working
4:00 AM/PM - 5:59 AM/PM: Working
6:00 AM/PM - 7:59 AM/PM: Not Working
8:00 AM/PM - 9:59 AM/PM: Working
10:00 AM/PM - 11:59 AM/PM: Not Working


Special thanks to mikurubeam297 for the times.
Ratings - Focus of Imminent Destruction
Rating:
6
Price/Power (2/5)
35 icons is huge- but the unreliability of the attack limits its value. I think that from a 1p perspective this item is not useless- it is just... niche and risky. Add in the cost to the equation and unless you are loaning this from another player you would likely be better off buying a whole more balanced set.

Countermeasures (3.5/5)
So 30% of the time- even when working- it will do nothing. The 70% of the time it is- it is basically impossible to deal with. So 70% it is awesome, 30% horrible. If you do the math on that it ends up at a rating of 3.5

Alternatives, Upgrades or Downgrades
There is no real alternative to this item.

Other Points

Final Thoughts
This is a "fractional" rating. Just like factional items in Neopets- it looks a lot better than it actually is. The real rating is 5.5/10- but thanks to rounding it looks like a full 6.

Rated on November 24, 2018

Rating:
2
This review isn't going to follow my normal style because of the nature of the problems I have with it; that being said, let's dive in.

Rant:

Let’s look at it in the abstract first, because on the surface, there’s a lot to like here. 35 total icons is more than the venerable Super Attack Pea, after all, and that icon distribution means there’s no defensive counterplay, barring Thyoras Tear and its ilk. Even taking into account the 70% success rate, that’s still an average of 24.5 icons, which is more than Grapes of Wrath.

The problems start when you begin digging.

If you’re using it during its uptime, Focus of Imminent Destruction will attack 70% of the time, while it breaks and does nothing the other 30% of the time. For most 1P battling, this is horrible; when Focus breaks, it’s a waste of time and a waste of half a turn. If you’re just battling for your daily codestones or nerkmids, this is an inconvenience. If you’re battling an important plot boss or (if they return) a Defenders of Neopia challenger, it means you’ve basically lost and will have to try again.

Time to self-indulge with some math:
The probability of getting n successes (consecutively, because any failure kills the Focus) is 0.70^n. This means that you only have a 49% chance of 2 uses, a 34.3% chance of getting 3 uses, and so on. The numbers only get worse from here, especially if you’re using two.

By now, I hope it’s obvious that I don’t care for this sort of unreliability.

Of course, all of this totally ignores the existence of Faerie Slingshot, which outclasses this weapon in i...
▼ Read More ▼